What is constipation?
Constipation may be annoying, but curing constipation is not at all a problem. Yoga is a natural way to relieve and cure chronic constipation. Doing simple but useful exercises can help you in curing constipation easily.
Constipation occurs when the normal frequency of bowel movement gets reduced. It is usually caused by the slow movement of stool through the colon or infrequent stools. Constipation can also make you feel bloated and uncomfortable and you may find yourself straining during bowel movements. You are likely to get constipated if you pass a hard, dry stool more than three times a week.
Constipation can affect anyone but it is common in aged women, during pregnancy, after child birth and surgery. Though medication may help to some extent, but routine yoga for constipation can be the desirable option for curing constipation problem.
What causes constipation?
- Improper lifestyle
- Insufficient intake of fluids
- Excessive intake of tea and coffee
- Meals without enough leafy and green vegetables, salads etc in the diet
- Not having enough roughage or high fiber food in diet
- Lack of exercise or any other physical activity, or negligence of the recommended constipation exercise.
- Wrong eating habits like over eating, insufficient chewing etc
- Excessive intake of animal protein
- Irritable colon and rectum
- Intake of alcohol
Symptoms of constipation
- Heaviness in the abdomen
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal bloating, cramps or pain
- Unable to pass stool for several days or passing hard, dry stools
- Dizziness and Nausea
- Bad breath, mouth ulcers
- Lack of energy
All the above symptoms can be prevented by the constipation natural remedy through yoga.
- Make a habit of bowel evacuation early morning everyday
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water regularly
- Exercise regularly, preferably yoga.
- Develop a regular eating habit and chew the food before swallowing
- Intake plenty of leafy vegetables and salads
- Eat fiber-rich fruits and vegetables like papaya, orange, beans, asparagus etc
- Drinking lemon juice mixed with warm water in the morning useful in cleaning the bowel.
- Exert pressure to empty your stomach
- Intake of fried foods and beans and vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, potatoes. Nuts and dried foods should be avoided along with non-vegetarian foods
- Avoid smoking and alcoholism and also avoid drinking strong coffee/tea
- Don’t take excess stress or tension
- Say no to processed foods
Curing constipation through exercises is the best option to get relief from this unpleasant disease.
Yoga breathing Helps to stimulate bowel action.
Back bendingRelieves pain of the back muscles and reduces tension and tiredness and other psychological disorders.
Leg lifting This exercise exerts pressure on the abdomen and helps in stimulating the bowels.
Leg raisingThe pressure on the abdominal muscles helps in bowel movement.
Surya Namaskar Heals the disorders related to liver, indigestion, pancreas, acidity, intestinal problems, and thereby, it cures constipation.
Pavanamuktasana - Practising this asana is a must for curing constipation problem. It helps in stimulating the abdominal region and gastrointestinal problems.
Dhanurasana A great stimulant to the abdominal region and improves digestion.
TSuryaved Pranayam Helps in regulating the whole body system.