Thyroid Disease Treatment
Yoga is an effective thyroid disease treatment. The Thyroid gland or simply theThyroid is one of the largest endocrine glands in our human body. The thyroid gland is situated in front of the neck and is quite visible when enlarged, especially when we swallow. Enlargement of thyroid gland is one of the thyroid disease symptoms. It is an endocrine gland that discharges a secretion called Thyroxin directly into the blood stream. It controls the quick energy usage of the body, makes proteins, and controls the sensitivity of the other hormones with the body. It participates in these processes by producing thyroid hormones, the principal ones being Triiodothyronine (T3) and Thyroxine (T4). These hormones regulate the rate of metabolism, affect the growth and rate of function of many other systems in the body. T3 thyroid and T4 thyroid are synthesized from both iodine and tyrosine. The thyroid also produces Calcitonin which plays a role in Calcium Homeostasis.
The types of thyroid disorders are as follows-1. Hypothyroidism: This is the most common type of thyroid disorder, where the thyroid produces the thyroid hormone in a much less quantity than your body needs to function properly. It is usually a primary process in which the thyroid gland produces insufficient amount of thyroid hormone. The problem can also be secondary—that is, lack of thyroid hormone secretion due to inadequate secretion of either Thyrotropin i.e. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone [TSH]) from the Pituitary gland or Thyrotropin Releasing Hormone (TRH) from the Hypothalamus (secondary or tertiary hypothyroidism). Factors such as, belonging to the female sex, above 40 years of age, having a close family member affected with thyroid disease, and recently having given birth to a baby, can increase the chances of getting hypothyroidism.
2. Hyperthyroidism: When the thyroid gland is overactive, it produces excess thyroid hormone, more than your body needs to be healthy. Hyperthyroidism includes disease that is a subset of Thyrotoxicosis that is caused by excess synthesis and secretion of thyroid hormone by the thyroid. Hyperthyroidism is more common in women than men and occurs between the age of 20 - 40. It often starts after undergoing extreme stress or during pregnancy.
3. Postpartum Thyroiditis: After giving birth, the thyroid in a women can swell up and become large or inflamed. This is one of the thyroid disease symptoms which causes change in levels of thyroid hormone in the body. Sometimes, high levels can be followed by low levels of thyroid hormone. Within 6 months, this condition usually goes away with no permanent damage to the thyroid. Although common, thyroid disorders after pregnancy are often hard to detect. Some of the symptoms, such as sleeping disorder, fatigue, depression, or weight change are viewed as normal when a woman gives birth to a baby.
4. Thyroid Cancer: This type of cancer is most often found as a lump (or nodule) in the thyroid gland. It is not a common type of cancer and most thyroid nodules are benign (not cancer). Other signs of thyroid cancer include swelling in the lymph nodes of the neck and trouble swallowing or breathing. Although anyone can get thyroid cancer, people who had earlier undergone head or neck X-ray treatments for tonsillitis or other conditions in their childhood, are more likely to get this type of cancer.
Causes of Thyroid
- Overgrowth of normal thyroid tissue
- Thyroid cyst
- Iodine deficiency
- A non-functioning thyroid gland
- Postpartum Thyroiditis
Symptoms of Thyroid Disorders
- Weight Changes
- Aches and pains
- Feeling cold
- Nervousness and irritability
- Neck Discomfort/Enlargement
- Hair/Skin changes & Fatigue
Thyroid Disease Treatment: Exercises
Neck exercises (4 kinds) Neck exercises increases circulation to the thyroid and everything from the neck up.
Back Bending These exercises strengthen the back muscles and stimulates the thyroid.
Leg raising Stimulates the thyroid and increases the energy level.
Leg circling Strengthens the overall body muscles and helps in stimulating the thyroid.
Thyroid Disease Treatment: Asana
Sinhasana for thyroid disease treatment. A fruitful remedy for all throat and thyroid problems.
Utthanpadasana Is a wonderful treatment for treating thyroid and throat problems.
UstrasanaIs helpful in regulating the thyroid.
Ardhamatsyendrasana Practices this asana helps to normalise the production of Thyroids.